Paris as a destination for business travel is less expensive than many other major cities in Europe such as London, Frankfurt and Madrid, so business travellers can spend less on a trip whilst enjoying a fantastic range of hotels and restaurants.
Even if your time in Paris is short, it is a city that lends itself to being explored easily – by walking down its cobbled streets or main strips you can easily enjoy the beautiful architecture and Parisian landmarks along the way.
If you are staying within central Paris you can’t go too wrong, but as a large city it’s always wise to stay close to the areas you need to visit.
I would recommend staying in the following areas: Champs Elysées, Notre Dame, St Germain des Prés, Concorde and Opéra.
These areas offer a large range of restaurants, attractions and shopping as well as being well connected with public transport and an abundance of taxis.
English is becoming more widely spoken in Paris but attempting a few words in French will get you a long way and make your interaction with locals a lot easier.
The basics you may need to know:
- Bonjour: Hello
- Merci: Thank you
- Au revoir: Good bye
There are also a number of apps on the market to help you with short phrases and sentences to help you navigate the city and grasp the basics during a business trip. I highly recommend iTranslate Voice 2 for those with a smartphone, which allows conversations in 40 languages via the app.
Depending on the type of meeting or corporate event you are trying to organise there are a number of options:
- Smaller business meetings can be held in hotels, many of which offer beautiful settings from the period of Parisian buildings they now occupy.
- For larger corporate events and exhibitions, the Grand Palais is a magnificent building offering plenty of space.
- For an entertainment-style meeting experience, I highly recommend hiring a boat to cruise down the River Seine.
- For a more corporate setting, try out the Parc des Expositions – a large convention centre conveniently located near to CDG Airport
- And for a space which offers a bit of fun and the Moulin Rouge experience, the Musee des Arts Forains offers three thematic rooms for a truly unique business meeting or corporate event